Source: A Survey of the State Mental Institutions of Oregon. Washington, D.C.: United States Public Health Service, 1940.
The above figure is from a 1940 survey conducted by the United States Public Health Service. The survey goes into great detail about the history and situation of the six institutions in Oregon “caring for patients with mental disease, mental deficiency, and epilepsy.” Here is a sampling of the information included in the survey…
Oregon State Hospital
Capacity: 2,400 beds.
“On an edge of the City of Salem, the capital of the state, and on a site slightly higher than most of the city is a goodly tract of almost level land. Here stands the main plant of the Oregon State Hospital. The hospital owns 1900 acres of fertile, rolling prairie land, and rents 300 more. Some 1500 acres are under cultivation…The original building is like a capital E, the center containing offices and quarters; the short central area the service units, the assembly hall and a few wards; and the long arms three tiers of wards, the men’s wing having been extended farther back than the women’s wing. (pg 6-7).
Eastern Oregon State Hospital
Capacity: 1,350 beds
“Pendleton is a city of 8,000 population in north-eastern Oregon. A mile and a half west of the city the main highway runs through the grounds of the Eastern Oregon State Hospital. This is a very hilly region. The hospital occupies some bottom land along the Umatilla River, and its acres run up the neighboring slopes…Not far from the highway the Union Pacific Railroad parallels it across the hospital property, and runs therefore through the front yard of the main hospital building…This institution consists of one large building housing patients, and other buildings for service purposes. The